Fire Up the Grill: It’s Beef Month
Earlier this year, I wrote about one of my favorite agvocates, Debbie Lyons-Blythe. A Kansas cattle rancher and mother of five, Debbie grew up on her family’s Angus ranch. She has continued her passion and involvement in agriculture by caring for 500 cattle each day in the heart of the Flint Hills.
In an effort to share her passion and help educate consumers about modern agriculture and animal care, Debbie started a blog, Life on a Kansas Cattle Ranch. Debbie says her ultimate goal in creating the blog was to connect with the individuals buying groceries and educate them about their food choices. She wanted to bridge the gap between the knowledge we often take for granted in rural America and the average consumers’ agriculture background and knowledge. Thus, she says, it seemed natural to start sharing some of her family’s favorite recipes with blog readers.
We were lucky enough to receive just such a recipe from Debbie in honor of National Beef Month. I must admit that I was thrilled to see that this recipe involves steak, grilling and butter! Not only that, it’s an award-winning recipe. Debbie’s children made this recipe for the CAB Beef Cook Off last year, and won the senior steak division.
Give the Blythe’s recipe a try and let us know what you think! For more of her delicious recipes, visit Debbie’s blog.
Cowboy CAB Steak and Whiskey Butter
- Combine in bowl: chili powders, paprika, peppers and sugar.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over low heat.
- Just before grilling, remove steaks from refrigerator, pat with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Brush steaks with oil, sprinkle about 1 Tbsp of rub and a little salt on each steak, rubbing in with fingers.
- Place steaks directly over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Turn and grill 5 more minutes for medium-rare doneness. Remove from grill. Let rest at least 5 minutes.
- Top steaks with Whiskey Butter.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 shallots, minced, soaked in Whiskey Extract
- 3 tsp minced parsley
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tsp Whiskey Extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- White pepper to taste
- Combine butter, shallot, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire, Whiskey extract, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Drop butter onto waxed paper, roll into log.
- Refrigerate until hard and easy to cut, at least 3 hours.
- May store in refrigerator up to 1 week, in freezer for up to 3 months.
Photo from SeariousEats.com
- 2 Tbsp New Mexican chili powder
- 2 Tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp white pepper
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp Sugar-in-the-Raw
- 4 CAB (Certified Angus Beef) Ribeye Steaks, cut 1 ½” thick
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices Whiskey Butter, recipe below