Picking and a Grinning: Apple Harvest
This week our kids were assigned homework that our entire family enjoyed: picking apples. Fortunately, my parents’ Red Delicious tree was especially productive this year and the apples were ripe for picking. To make it even better, we were harvesting apples on a beautiful fall afternoon with blue skies, sunshine and temperatures in the upper 70s. Our energetic nine-year-olds spent as much – if not more – time climbing the tree than they did picking the fruit but that’s how the best memories are made.
As much as I love the natural goodness of a crisp apple, I have to admit that I enjoy eating them more with a little dip! Last week while I was making farm visits in northeast Iowa, I had the pleasure of also visiting with one our salesmen’s wives. She had just whipped up some dip for their kids’ afternoon snack, so I requested it for my blog. While Meg got this recipe from a Cooking Light magazine, she admits to liberally sprinkling additional toffee bits on top of the dip – more chocolate is always better, right? Her family also likes this dip with graham cracker sticks and/or animal crackers.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy apples?
Apple Fun Facts
- Apples come in all shades of reds, greens, yellows.
- Apples are grown in all 50 states.
- Apples are grown commercially in 36 states.
- 100 varieties of apples are grown commercially in the United States.
- 2,500 varieties of apples are grown in the United States.
- 7,500 varieties of apples are grown throughout the world.
Toffee Apple Dip
- ¾ C packed brown sugar
- ½ C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz) block 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- ¾ C toffee bits (such as Heath) (about 4 oz)
- 1 C pineapple juice (or lemon juice)
- 6 Red Delicious apples, each cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 6 Granny Smith apples, each cored and cut into 8 wedges
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth.
- Add toffee bits, and mix well.
- Cover and chill.
- Combine juice and apples in a bowl; toss well.
- Drain apples; serve with dip.
Yield: 2 C (serving size: 1 Tbsp dip and 3 apple wedges)
Calories: 92; Fat: 2.9g; Protein: 0.8g; Cholesterol: 8mg; Sodium: 51mg; Fiber: 1.4g; Iron: 0.2mg; Carbohydrate: 16.9g