It’s August: Let the Hogs Loose!
Summer is the perfect time to let loose, right? That’s why Latham Hi-Tech Seeds is getting ready to let the hogs loose along The Great River Road!
Latham Hi-Tech Seeds is hosting its 3rd Annual Freedom of Independence Ride on Saturday, August 27. Riders will learn about exciting new Latham® seed products as we travel some of the most scenic roads in northeast Iowa and southwest Wisconsin.
Open to all farmers – Latham Seeds customers or not – it’s a great way to mix and pleasure before the harvest rush. We’ll start in Prairie du Chien at noon with grilled lunch. Then we’ll visit four Latham Technology Showcase plots for agronomic insights and a look at new seed technologies. We’ll ferry across the Mighty Mississippi before returning to Prairie Du Chien for a hog roast around 6:00 PM.
Latham holds independence close to heart. And nothing shows an independent spirit like an American farmer – except perhaps an American farmer on a Harley or one who’s showing some “muscle.” By request, we’re welcoming muscle cars for friends who want share the spirit in their four-wheeled beauties.
Come join the fun! Rev it up with Latham Hi-Tech Seeds on Saturday, August 27. Register today as the number of riders/drivers is limited!
In honor of our upcoming ride and hog roast, today we’re featuring a recipe for pulled pork sandwiches by one of America’s most renowned grill masters. Bobby Flay is known for having fun while cooking up bold, vibrant flavors. And “fun, bold and vibrant” certainly describes Latham’s Freedom of Independence Ride. Enjoy!
Pulled Pork Sandwiches & Pickled Jalapeños
BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
BBQ Sauce Directions:
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan on the grates of the grill.
- Add the onion and jalapeno and cook until soft.
- Add the fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes and juices, vinegar, honey, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce, and cook until the sugar has completely melted and the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened.
- Season with salt, to taste.
- Add the shredded pork and stir to coat.
Pickled Jalapeño Ingredients:
- 3 cups rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 jalapenos, sliced in half lengthwise
- 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 (8-ounce) jar
Pickled Jalapeño Directions:
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, seeds, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Let boil for 2 minutes, and then remove from the heat and let sit until cooled to room temperature.
- Place the jalapeños, stem side up, into the jar and pour enough cooled vinegar mixture over them to cover.
- Pack the cilantro sprigs into the jar.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 4 days.
Recipe & Photo from The Food Network: Bobby Flay
Pulled Pork Ingredients:
- 4 to 6 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 (3 pound) boneless pork butt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- BBQ Sauce, recipe follows
- 8 to 12 soft buns with sesame seeds
- Pickled Jalapenos, recipe follows
Pulled Pork Directions:
- Preheat the grill to medium heat (the grill should maintain a constant temperature of 350°).
- Place a drip pan filled half-way with the chicken stock on the briquettes. Season the pork butt with salt and pepper and place on the grates of the grill over the drip pan.
- Close the cover of the grill and let the pork cook for 1 hour.
- Turn the pork over and continue grilling for 2 to 3 hours, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°. More chicken stock may be needed to refill the drip pan during grilling.
- Remove the pork from the grill and let rest for 15 minutes.
- When it is cool enough to handle, shred the pork into strands with your fingers.
- Add the shredded pork to the BBQ Sauce and serve on sandwich buns with the Pickled Jalapeños.