Turkey and Blueberry Salad
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups blueberries
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups wild and white rice combo, cooked and chilled
- 2 cups cooked turkey breast, cut in cubes or strips
- 1 head chilled butter lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (8 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 Tbs. walnut oil or olive oil
- Toast walnuts on a baking sheet in a preheated 350º F. oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine blueberries, sugar, tarragon and salt and pepper. Stir well, cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Stir in rice, turkey and toasted walnuts.
- Divide lettuce and oranges among individual plates. Top each with the turkey mixture.
- In a small bowl whisk together orange juice, vinegar, parsley, thyme and oil.
- Pour over the turkey mixture. May be made up to two hours in advance, but salad should be covered and chilled.