Chicken Pot Pie by Nick & Meg Benson
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 ¾ cups carrots, chopped
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 cups butter
- 1 ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ C milk
- 4 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Pastry for two double pie crusts (use your favorite recipe)
- Place potatoes and carrots in large saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 4-6 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Drain, set aside.
- In large skillet, sauté onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, thyme and pepper until blended.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and continue to stir/whisk for 5-10 minutes or until thickened to gravy-like consistency.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken, peas, corn, potatoes and carrots.
- Line two 9-in deep dish pie plates with bottom pastry; fill with chicken mixture.
- Roll out top crust and cut slits or decorative cut-outs, then place on top of mixture; trim, seal, and flute edges.
- Bake one potpie at 425° for 35-45 minutes or until crust is lightly brown. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Cover and freeze remaining pie for up to 3 months.
To use frozen: Shield pie crust edges with foil; place on baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350° and bake for 70-90 minutes or until crust is lightly brown and mixture is hot and bubbly.
Pi Day Recipe Submission by Nick & Meg Benson