Soups that warm the heart
These recipes were submitted by one of our Latham dealers in Everly, Iowa. Every Christmas Eve, their family has soup night. Here are a couple of their favorite soup recipes. Perfect on these cold winter nights.
Potato Cheese Soup
- 6-8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2-3 carrots, sliced
- 1-2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pkg. (8oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. butter, softened
- 1 can (10 and 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 c. milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- crumbled bacon
- green onion, diced
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion in large kettle, cover with water.
- Cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in mixing bowl combine softened cream cheese, butter, and cream of chicken soup. Combine until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, salt and pepper.
- Before adding to vegetables, drain most of the water from kettle, depending how thick you prefer the soup.
- Add creamed mixture to the kettle and heat slowly.
- Before serving, I sprinkle each bowl with a little bacon, green onion and cheddar cheese.
Do you have any of your own soup recipes that “warm the heart”? Share them with us in the comment box below!
- 3 (15 oz.) cans of Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 and 1/2c. chopped, cooked chicken
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1 and 1/2c. chopped red, green, or yellow pepper
- 2 jalapeno chili peppers, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 small can green chilis
- 3 and 1/2c. chicken broth
- Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (optional)
- Saute the onion, garlic and cumin in 1-2 tbsp. oil.
- Add all ingredients and simmer 45 minutes to an hour.