The World’s Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Prep 5 Min
- Cook 10 Min
- Total 15 Min
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 cups whole milk or fat level of choice
- 2 cups (12 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips*
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract**
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Optional garnish: whipped cream, mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, shaved chocolate
- Combine sugar and cocoa powder in a medium, heavy-bottom pot and whisk until evenly combined. Whisk in milk and bring to a simmer on stovetop over low heat.
- Stir in chocolate chips, vanilla extract and salt and stir constantly until chocolate is completed melted and mixture is smooth.
- Pour hot chocolate into mugs and garnish with whipped cream, marshmallows, chocolate chips or chocolate shavings as desired.
* If a sweeter, creamier hot chocolate is desired, swap in milk chocolate chips for semi-sweet.
** For peppermint hot chocolate, reduce vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon and add an additional 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
Recipe and photo credit to: https://www.usdairy.com/recipes/worlds-best-hot-chocolate-hot-cocoa-recipe