Join the National Celebration with Fried Chicken, Ice Cream and Kisses
July 6 just might be one of the most fun, non-holidays that Americans have to celebrate. Who knew? It’s not only National Fried Chicken Day and International Kissing Day, but it’s also National Ice Cream Month. And just when you didn’t think the day could get any better, you realize it’s Friday to boot!
With an intense heat wave hitting much of the Midwest for the second straight week, it makes me wonder how many Americans will actually fry chicken at home. I’m guessing more folks will opt for the KFC drive-thru. If your travels take you cross-country, Fox News has compiled a comprehensive guide to the best fried chicken in America.
As much as I love fried chicken, I’m not going to stand over the stove. I’d be more tempted to turn on the oven and bake Rice Crispy Chicken. It’s seriously finger-lickin’ good! Another chicken recipe that’s well suited for the season is this Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken, which was given to me several years ago when my aunt was visiting from Canada. I think it would be refreshing served with a side of Orange and Cashew Lettuce Salad.
The more I think about it, the more apt I am to serve Lemon Chicken for Sunday dinner and try to beat the heat today with ice cream instead! Links to ice cream recipes previously shared on TheFieldPosition follow:
- Ice Cream Sandwiches – a county fair ribbon-winning recipe
- Dairy Days of Summer – Oreo® and ice cream sandwich cake
- Buster Bar Dessert – my mom made it earlier this week for me, so all I have to do is get it from the freezer! It definitely one of my faves.
Stay cool! And feel free to share your best tips to “beat the heat.”
Slow Cooked Lemon Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces (or equivalent)
- ¼ c. Flour
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 1, 6-oz. can frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed)
- 3 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Cold Water
- Combine the flour with ½ tsp. salt. Coat chicken thoroughly.
- Brown chicken on all sides in hot oil; drain. Transfer chicken to slow cooker.
- Stir together the lemonade concentrate, brown sugar, ketchup and vinegar.
- Pour over the chicken and cover.
- Cook on high setting for 3-4 hours (time varies).
- Remove chicken and pour liquid into saucepan.
- Return chicken to slow cooker and cover to keep warm.
- Blend cold water slowly into cornstarch, stir in hot liquid. Cook until thick.
- Serve the chicken with gravy over rice.
Note: This tastes amazing all on it's own, but next time I might add ¼ tsp. of red pepper flakes to the grown-up portions for a bit of a kick.