Strawberry Point calls for Strawberries!
Below is information about our upcoming exhibit at the 2010 Hay Expo in Strawberry Point, Iowa. The Hay Expo got me thinking about our alfalfa products, our alfalfa products got me thinking about the dairy cows we help feed, and the dairy cows got me thinking about milkshakes. Truly, I can find almost any reason to get my mind to circle around to delicious food.
As I mentioned in last week’s recipe share, I recently picked fresh strawberries from our garden, so I decided to mix the best of both worlds this week and share a recipe for a strawberry milkshake and strawberry cheesecake parfaits. Both recipes are quick and easy so kids can easily lend a hand.
I hope you enjoy the recipes and if you’re attending the 2010 Hay Expo, please drop in for a visit! Details on the show follow.
Strawberry Ice Cream Milkshake
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (more if desired – you can determine how sweet you would like it)
- 2 scoops of strawberry or vanilla ice cream
- Toss all of the ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into cups. Enjoy!
Visit Latham Seeds at the 2010 Hay Expo
The 24th annual Farm Progress Hay Expo is scheduled for June 16-17 in Strawberry Point, Iowa. The expo will include a 10-acre exhibit field featuring, among others, major and short-line hay and forage equipment manufacturers, seed, and building and storage facility suppliers.
If you plan to attend the Expo, we would love to meet you if you have a few minutes to stop by. Nick Benson, Latham® regional sales manager in northeast Iowa will be available to answer any questions you might have about our alfalfa products.
There will also be multiple field demonstrations throughout the day for visitors who are interested in seeing side-by-side product comparisons. Scheduled demonstrations include showcase mowing, conditioning, chopping, raking, baling and hay handling. Trams will be available to shuttle visitors to demos throughout the day.
Show organizers have also made it possible to receive updates about the show through your smart phone, simply visit mobile.hayexpo.com and show information including weather, news updates, schedule changes, exhibitor listings and directions will be at your fingertips.
Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for ages 13-17. Show hours are Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visit www.hayexpo.com for directions, where to stay and the full show program.
Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits
- 1 pound Strawberries, Sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar, Divided
- ½ cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 12 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, Room Temperature
- ½ cups Sour Cream
- ? cups Confectioners Sugar (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 sprigs Mint (for Garnish)
- Sprinkle sliced strawberries with once tablespoon of sugar. Toss and set aside.
- Mix the graham cracker crumbs with the melted utter and the remaining one tablespoon of sugar.
- Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sour cream, confectioners’ sugar and Amaretto and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Fold this in to the cream cheese mixture.
To assemble, place about a tablespoon of the graham cracker “crust” in the bottom of your glasses. Layer some of the cheesecake filling into the glasses, then some of the strawberry topping and sprinkle some more of the graham cracker on top. *(Amounts will vary according to how many parfaits you are making, so just adjust accordingly). Repeat layers and top with mint. Refrigerate until ready to serve.