Memorial Day Weekend Recipes
This week, I wanted to share recipes that are quick and easy, leaving you more time to enjoy with family and friends this holiday weekend.
First, in response to my request for recipes showcasing eggs beyond breakfast, I was sent the following recipe for Mexican Egg Salad Tacos. I haven’t yet taste-tested it, but I must say it intrigues me. It sounds quick and easy – perfect for a Saturday meal in between baseball and softball games. Pair it with fresh fruit and Mexican Fruit Dip, and you have a “fiesta al instante!”
Mexican Fruit Dip
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese (not fat free)
- 1 T. vanilla instant pudding (dry)
- 1 tsp. vanilla (Mexican or McCormick)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. half & half
- 1/2 package toffee chips
- Mix and serve with fruit. It’s especially good with fresh strawberries, pineapple and bananas.
I also wanted to share a recipe for Mock Prime Rib. This is one of my favorite fix it and forget it meals, giving you time to enjoy your holiday weekend!
Mock Prime Rib
- 2 to 3 lbs. rump roast
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can beef broth or Campbell’s Beef Consommé
- 1 pkg. Good Seasons Italian dressing mix
- 1 pkg. Schilling’s Au Jus mix (1 oz)
- Place roast in crock pot.
- Mix broth, Italian dressing mix and Au Jus mix.
- Pour over roast.
- Cook on low setting 8-10 hours.
To serve, remove roast and slice 1/2-inch thick. Serve broth as Au Jus.
Memorial Day Barbeque
May is also National Beef Month, and with Memorial Day the unofficial start to the summer grilling season, I wanted to share a favorite recipe of mine. This teriyaki marinade makes grilled steaks especially succulent. Add a couple of your family’s favorite side dishes and you have a Memorial Day barbeque!
- ½ tsp. garlic sauce
- 1 T. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 T. oil
- 2 T. water
- ¼ c. soy sauce
- ½ tsp. Accent
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pierce meat every inch or so with meat fork; place in covered container with marinade sauce. Turn occasionally.
- Soak overnight or for at least 12 hours.
If you have a chance to make any of the recipes please let us know how they worked out for you. Have a wonderful holiday weekend!
Mexican Egg Salad Tacos
- 4 large hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup (2 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 taco shells
- Lettuce leaves
- Garnishes: shredded Cheddar cheese, avocado slices
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients; fold into egg mixture.
- Line taco shells with lettuce. Spoon egg salad evenly into taco shells.
- Garnish with salsa if desired.