Dal Grooms: First Lady Chris Brandstad’s Oven Beef Stew
First Lady Chris Brandstad’s Oven Beef Stew
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 pounds beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 small red potatoes, cut in fourths
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 8oz. mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 3-4 parsnips, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 10.5 oz. can beef broth
- 1, 6-oz can tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In large Dutch oven, cook onions, bacon and beef over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally, until bacon and beef are browned (about 8-10 minutes).
- Stir in vegetables; add remaining ingredients.
- Cover, place in oven and bake for 1.5 hours.
- Uncover; continue baking, stirring occasionally, for 2 more hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
from Dal Grooms