#FoodThanks for Thanksgiving

Our nation’s Thanksgiving holiday presents a prime opportunity to help remind people to “thank a farmer” for the food on their table.  Many Americans this month are using their personal Facebook pages and Twitter feeds to say what they’re thankful for this season.

“Farmers represent less than 2 percent of the population,” says Darin Grimm, president of the AgChat Foundation, a 100 percent volunteer organization that aims to empower farmers and ranchers to “agvocate” via social media platforms. “#FoodThanks helps us engage with the other 98% who are not directly involved in agriculture. It’s also an opportunity for us to thank the many people involved in getting food from our farms to tables across America.”

Members of the ag and food communities are encouraged to tweet, post and blog about #foodthanks, especially on November 23 as Thanksgiving becomes top of mind for much of the country.

You can become part of the #foodthanks campaign. Last year, more than 800 people participated in the campaign by blogging, adding the #foodthanks twibbon to their avatar photo and sharing more than 2,000 Twitter posts.