Food Fit for March Madness
One of our Field Position readers submitted the following recipe as an idea on how to use corned beef leftover from St. Patrick’s Day.
With March Madness underway, this recipe looks like a relatively easy way to feed the masses who might have congregated in front of the Big Screen.
I have yet to try this one, so I’d love to hear from anyone who taste-tests the Rueben Loaf. Thank you so much to the reader who submitted the recipe!
Also, please feel free to share your favorite Game Day recipes.
- 3 ¼ C flour (I use ½ rye)
- 1 TBL sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 package rapid rise yeast
- 1 C hot water
- 1 TBL margarine
- 1 can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Caraway seed
- ¼ C 1000 Island dressing
- 6 oz. corned beef (or shaved ham)
- ¼ lb Swiss cheese
- Set aside 1 C flour.
- In a large bowl, mix remaining flour, sugar, salt & yeast.
- Stir in hot water and margarine.
- Mix in only enough reserved flour to make a soft dough.
- On floured board, knead 4 minutes.
- On greased baking sheet, roll dough to 10 x 14.
- Spread dressing down the center third of dough length.
- Top with layers of beef, cheese and sauerkraut.
- Cut 1-inch wide strips along sides, filling out to dough edges.
- Alternating sides, fold strips at an angle across filling.
- Cover dough and place sheet over large shallow pan half filled with boiling water for 15 min.
- Brush with egg white, sprinkle on caraway seed.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until done.