There’s nothing better than a summer picnic! I love being outdoors, enjoying beautiful weather and the company of family and friends. I especially enjoy listening to bullfrogs croaking, birds singing and kids giggling?or shrieking with delight as they chase one another with water balloons and squirt guns.
I also think summer picnics are a good opportunity to branch out from the standards: fresh fruit, potato salad and baked beans. I wanted to make use of fresh vegetables from our garden, too. So this weekend I served something new that was a real hit with my family and friends.
Try the following Lemon Orzo Primavera, courtesy of www.allrecipes.com. I’d love to know what you think of it!
Lemon Orzo Primavera
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1c. uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Stir in orzo, and cook 2 minutes, until golden.
- Stir in garlic, zucchini, and carrot, and cook 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and mix in lemon zest.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes, or until liquid has been absorbed and orzo is tender.
- Season with thyme and top with Parmesan to serve.