Adaptation of Ballymaloe Shepherd's Pie
- 1/4 stick butter
- 4 Tablespoons yellow onion (chopped) or 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste with a splash of water
- 2 teaspoons mushroom ketchup (optional)
- 1/3 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/3 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground beef, browned
- 6 large potatoes (the best dang mashed potatoes)
- Melt the butter; add onion. Cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add flour and cook until brown.
- Add beef stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn down heat before adding tomato paste, mushroom ketchup (optional) and spices.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, and then add the meat to the sauce. Return to a boil.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Transfer into in a pie dish; cover with the mashed potatoes and score with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with Ballymaloe Garlic Butter.