Garden Grill Tri-Tip
Recipe by South Dakota Beef Industry Council
- 1 beef Tri-Tip Roast (about 1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2 small red and/or yellow bell peppers, cut lengthwise into quarters
- 2 medium yellow squash and/or zucchini, cut lengthwise in half
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into quarters
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh basil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Combine marinade ingredients in small bowl.
- Remove 1/4 cup of reserved marinade for ratatouille; set aside. Toss vegetables (except tomatoes) with remaining marinade.
- Place beef roast and 1/3 cup marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn roast to coat.
- Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally. Cover.
- Remove roast from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place roast in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals or over medium heat on preheated gas grill; arrange vegetables (except tomatoes) around roast. Grill roast, covered, 25 to 35 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill onion and bell peppers 7 to 11 minutes; zucchini and yellow squash 8 to 12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)