Loaded Potato Soup
Recipe by https://spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu/recipe/loaded-potato-soup/
- 4 baked potatoes or 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cooked
- 1 tablespoon tub margarine
- 1 medium onion (coarsely chopped) (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups homemade chicken broth, or 1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices (3 ounces) American cheese
- Optional garnishes: Sliced green onion, bacon bits, shredded cheese
- Remove skins and mash potatoes into small pieces to make about 3 cups. Set aside.
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and green pepper, if desired. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Stir in milk, potatoes, peas, and pepper. Heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cheese slices. Cook and stir about 2 minutes until cheese melts. Add more milk if soup is thicker than you prefer.
- Add garnishes, if desired, and serve immediately.
Using already cooked potatoes means you can have this soup ready to eat and on the table in less than 15 minutes.
Other frozen vegetables can be used instead of peas. Try corn, broccoli or mixed vegetables.