- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1, 28-ounce can stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced olives (optional)
- 6 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Feta or goat cheese (optional)
- Fresh cilantro or parsley (or both)
- Fresh lemon wedges (optional)
- Warm pita, naan or other favorite bread
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and peppers in olive oil over medium heat for about 6 to 8 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and spices; sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce reached a thick consistency. (If using canned whole tomatoes, break into bite-sized pieces as they simmer.) Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed.
- While the sauce is cooking, crack each egg into its own small bowl. When sauce is thick and hot, use a large spoon or ladle to make indents, or “wells,” in the sauce. Pour one egg in each well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and continue cooking for 5 to 8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked as desired (less time for soft egg yolks and more for firm yolks).
- Remove from heat and serve with fresh herbs, cheese, lemon wedges and warm bread.