Rise & Shine Sausage Oatmeal Cups
For the cups:
1 pound ground pork sausage, uncooked
1 T finely chopped onion
2/3 cup rolled oats
1 egg white
Scant ¼ cup milk
For the filling:
½ cup soft cream cheese (plain or herb)
¾ cup chopped and seeded tomatoes, drained
2 T fresh chives, dill or fresh onion tops
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the “cups” ingredients listed above.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 12 muffin tin cups.
- Press mixture firmly around the bottom and sides to form hollow cups.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven, drain cups on paper towels, and keep warm.
- In large skillet, begin scrambling the eggs. When almost done, fold in remaining ingredients and finish cooking.
- Divide the mixture into the sausage cups and serve hot.
- Make 12 sausage cups. Refrigerate leftovers.
COOK’S NOTE: Sausage cups can be prepared in advance and refrigerated or frozen. Reheat when ready to fill.
“Prep ahead recipes” are key to serving my family protein-packed breakfasts that will fuel their active days ahead. Rise & Shine Sausage Oatmeal Cups fill the bill! This recipe usually gets pulled from the box when company’s coming because it’s an easy way to feed a crowd. Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I now know this recipe originated as an ad for Bob Evans sausage.