Pineapple Upside Down Cake
½ cup salted butter
½ to 1 tsp maple extract
1 cup light brown sugar
15 oz can pineapple of choice, drained and juice reserved
10 to 15 maraschino cherries, halved
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking power
1/8 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
5 Tbsp pineapple juice
2 Tbsp oil
½ cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
- For the pineapple layer, melt butter and stir in maple extract. Place in the bottom of an 8- or 9-inch cast iron skillet. (Another option is to prepare in springform pans.)
- Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over the melted butter.
- Arrange the drained pineapple in a design if you wish, evenly distributing the halved cherries over top.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and make a well in the center. Add lightly beaten eggs, pineapple juice, oil, sour cream and vanilla.
- Mix with a spoon until thoroughly blended.
- Drop evenly over the top of the pineapple mixture, soothing to edges of the pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 325 degrees for approximately 40 minutes.
- Consider placing a cookie sheet or foil under the cast iron while baking in the event it boils over.
- Use a toothpick to test for doneness, remembering not to go much deeper than an inch.
- Continue baking until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 to 12 minutes and then invert the bake onto a platter.
- Cake should have a golden hue over the entire top.
from the Midwest Living Culinary & Craft School at Silver Dollar City