Beef & Egg Breakfast Mug
- 1 recipe Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage (recipe follows)
- 1 cup chopped fresh vegetables such as tomato, baby spinach, bell pepper, zucchini or green onion
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese such as Cheddar, Monterey Jack or American
- 8 large eggs
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Toppings (optional): dairy sour cream, salsa, sriracha, ketchup
*Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage
- 1 pound ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Mix all ingredient in a large bowl. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add beef mixture and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Prepare Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage. Remove skillet from heat; let cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Evenly divide beef and vegetables into eight food-safe quart-size plastic bags. Close securely and refrigerate up to 4 days.
- For each serving, spray one 6 to 12-ounce microwave-safe mug or bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Add 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water; whisk with fork. Stir in 1 bag refrigerated beef-vegetable mixture.
- Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 30 seconds. Remove from oven; stir. Continue to microwave on HIGH 30 to 60 seconds or until egg is just set. Stir.
- Top with cheese. Let stand 30 seconds or until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve with Toppings, if desired.
For Taco Seasoning Variation, prepare beef as directed above, substituting 1 packet (1 ounce) reduced-sodium taco seasoning mix for herbs and seasonings in step 1.