- 1 ½ lbs. hamburger
- 1 chopped onion
- 8 T. butter
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 3 c. beef broth
- 8 c. diced peeled potatoes (I use frozen hash browns and pour them in until I think it’s enough)
- ½ c. flour
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 2 c. cubed American cheese, or Velveeta®
- 2 c. shredded cheese (whatever kind you like)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ c. sour cream
- Brown the hamburger. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté onion in 2 T. butter until tender.
- Add garlic, basil and parsley. Sauté about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, hamburger and potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt remaining butter in a skillet.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Gradually add evaporated milk, stirring constantly, cooking and stirring for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Gradually stir the sauce into the soup.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper.
- Continue to stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes, bacon bits and dill pickle slices if you’d like.